Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Think Pink

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month!

There is nothing worse than hearing the words " you have cancer". Back in 1994, I remember the radiologist calling and asking me to come in for a second mammogram. At first, I was not too concerned until my doctor called and asked me to come in. I saw a surgeon a week before we were scheduled to go on a family vacation to Disney world. My kids were 11 and 6. The surgeon assured me it would not be a problem to wait until I got home to have a lumpectomy. I was not sure I could wait. The stress would certainly impact the vacation but we went anyway.  Surgery was scheduled and after that I had 6 weeks of radiation. Life went on and I even almost forgot about the fact that I had cancer.

That was until a routine check up in 1997 was anything but routine. The radiologist had been going over my films with a magnifying glass and I heard her call my doctor. More calcifications were found. Back to the surgeon, this time for a mastectomy. Now  I panicked. I made lists for husband - lists of the kid's doctors, lists of their daily activities, lists of their classes, etc. I totally freaked out. The surgeon told me I did not need chemo even though I begged him. I told him I would do whatever I needed to do. He tried to convince me that my lymph nodes were clear and there was no need. I wasn't sure I believed him. The healing process was slow but I made progress.

Now it has been almost 20 years. There are days when I forget that this happened. But, we are vigilent that my 32 year old daughter gets mammograms and does self exams.

So I say to you - do self exams, get those mammograms and if you hear those words - do not give up hope!!


Thank you for stopping by and listening to my story. If you are going through this, and want to talk, please feel free to email me! It has been a while and I am sure many things have changed but I am more than happy to listen, share advice, etc.

Adding this to Simonssays Wednesday challenge -- Think Pink!

Thank you for your comments. They brighten my day!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! I love the ribbon and the pink flowers! BL

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how pretty! I LOVE the pearls on the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story! ((hugs)) Love you and the card too :)

    ReplyDelete

I am Back but will be Leaving:):)